2018 Ford Focus Active Wagon – Fun To Drive And Rough Road-Capable. 2018 Ford Focus Active Wagon – Drive and Design. Subscribe.
Equipped as standard in five-door and wagon body styles with Ford’s sophisticated short long arm (SLA) independent rear suspension configuration, the Focus Active chassis features unique springs, dampers, stabiliser bars, and front and rear knuckle geometries, alongside a ride height raised 30 mm front and 34 mm rear over the standard Focus.
The SLA system optimises comfort and response, and features an isolated subframe that delivers a desirable balance between front and rear compliance over larger bumps in the road, for smoother journeys. Multi-compound bushes feature different stiffness characteristics when stressed in different directions, for better isolation of smaller bumps and improved noise, vibration and harshness. A unique SLA geometry for the wagon model repositions the dampers helping the vehicle remain agile and responsive even with a fully loaded boot, and helping maximise boot space with a wider load-floor area.
For improved rough road ride and durability, 17-inch alloy wheels are fitted with higher-profile 215/55 R17 tyres; 18-inch wheels with 215/50 R18 tyres are also available. In addition to the Normal, Sport and Eco Selectable Drive Modes equipped as standard for all Focus models, the Focus Active introduces:
– Slippery mode, which adjusts ESC and traction control settings for increased confidence on surfaces with reduced grip such as mud, snow and ice; reduces straight-ahead wheel spin, including when pulling away from stationary; and delivers a more passive throttle response
– Trail mode, which helps maintain momentum on soft surfaces such as sand; adjusts anti-lock braking to allow greater wheel slip; configures traction control to allow higher wheel spin that cleans sand, snow or mud from the tyres; and delivers a more passive throttle response
The all-new Focus Active delivers the comprehensive range of sophisticated driver assistance technologies introduced to the all-new Focus earlier this year. Advanced technologies seamlessly integrated to enable an intuitive, stress-reducing and refined driving experience include:
– Adaptive Cruise Control, which now enhanced with Stop & Go, Speed Sign Recognition and Lane-Centring for effortlessly negotiating stop-start traffic
– Ford’s Adaptive Front Lighting System with new camera-based Predictive curve light and Sign-based light that pre-adjust headlamp patterns for improved visibility by monitoring bends in the road and – for the first time in the industry – road signs
– Active Park Assist 2, which now also operates gear selection, acceleration and braking to enable fully-automated manoeuvres at the push of a button
– Ford’s first Head-up display to be offered in Europe, helping drivers focus their attention on the road ahead
– Evasive Steering Assist, a segment-first technology that helps drivers steer around stopped or slower vehicles to help avoid collisions
– Focus Active customers can choose from a range of advanced Ford EcoBoost petrol and Ford EcoBlue diesel engines delivering optimised power and refinement. Powertrains are supported by standard Auto Start-Stop for reduced running costs; and slick-shifting six-speed manual or new eight-speed automatic transmissions for effortless cruising. The sophisticated eight-speed automatic adapts to different driving styles to offer optimised gear changes.
Ford’s multi-award-winning 125 PS 1.0-litre EcoBoost petrol engine delivers from 107 g/km CO2 emissions and 4.8 l/100 km fuel efficiency. Ford’s 150 PS 1.5-litre EcoBoost engine delivers from 121 g/km and 5.3 l/100 km. Ford’s 120 PS 1.5-litre EcoBlue diesel engine delivers from 93 g/km and 3.5 l/100 km. Ford’s 150 PS 2.0-litre EcoBlue diesel engine delivers from 114 g/km and 4.4 l/100 km.
Ford’s SYNC 3 communications and entertainment technology allows drivers to control audio, navigation and climate functions plus connected smartphones using simple voice commands, and is supported by an 8-inch colour touchscreen that can be operated using pinch and swipe gestures. The system is compatible with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto™, and is available alongside a premium B&O audio system that ensures everyone in the car can enjoy the soundtrack to their adventure with a concert-hall experience.
New FordPass Connect onboard modem technology for the Focus even turns the Active into a mobile WiFi hotspot with connectivity for up to 10 devices, and an available Wireless charging pad beneath the instrument panel enables occupants to easily charge compatible smartphones and stay connected on the move.
The all-new Ford Focus Active crossover introduces SUV-inspired versatility to the confidence-inspiring, intuitive, and rewarding all-new Focus driving experience.