2019 Ford Transit Custom PHEV – High Productivity. 2019 Ford Transit Custom PHEV – Drive, Interior and Exterior. Subscribe.
– Ford reveals production version of new Transit Custom plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) for the first time, at IAA Commercial Vehicle show in Hannover, Germany
– Advanced PHEV powertrain targets 50 km (31 mile) zero-emissions range, or 500 km (310 mile) total range using award-winning 1.0-litre EcoBoost engine as a range extender
– First PHEV in segment delivers high productivity with no range anxiety; retains load volume and 1-tonne payload capability of diesel-powered van
– Enhanced Transit Custom range announced with upgraded 2.0-litre EcoBlue diesel with more powerful 185 PS variant, and segment-first mild hybrid powertrain option
– Hannover CV Show also marks debut for dynamic new Transit Connect Sport Van with exterior styling kit, signature bonnet stripes and Dark Stainless alloy wheels
Ford’s Transit Custom strengthens its position as Europe’s leading one-tonne van with the public debut of the new plug-in hybrid (PHEV) model, shown for the first time in production form at the IAA Commercial Vehicle show in Hannover, Germany.
Ford is the first volume manufacturer to offer PHEV technology in this segment of the van market. The technology enables the vehicle to be charged with mains electricity for zero-emission journeys, contributing to reduced local emissions and allowing the vehicle to enter low-emissions zones. The PHEV model will enter volume production in the second half of 2019.
Ford also announced major enhancements to the Transit Custom line-up, including an upgraded 2.0-litre EcoBlue diesel with more powerful 185 PS variant, a segment-first diesel mild hybrid powertrain option, and advanced new connectivity and driver assistance features.
The Transit Custom PHEV provides operators with outstanding fuel and energy efficiency, and outstanding flexibility. The advanced hybrid-electric powertrain system is perfectly suited to scenarios from multi-stop delivery schedules to longer commutes between construction sites.
The vehicle uses a series-hybrid driveline configuration, the front wheels being driven exclusively by an electric motor, rather than by the combustion engine. Power for the motor is provided by a compact 14 kWh liquid-cooled lithium-ion battery pack located under the load floor, which has been carefully positioned to preserve the full cargo volume offered by the standard Transit Custom van, and a payload exceeding 1,000 kg. Ford’s compact and fuel-efficient 1.0-litre EcoBoost engine generates additional charge for the batteries when required.
Three selectable EV modes enable the driver to choose how and when to use the available battery charge:
– EV Auto – default setting determines how to use the energy sources
– EV Now – uses only electric power until the battery is depleted
– EV Later – system aims to maintain current level of battery charge
Using the charge port located within the front bumper, the Transit Custom PHEV can be charged using a domestic 240 volt 10 amp power supply, achieving full charge in five hours, or a commercial 240 volt 16 amp or 32 amp supply, which can bring the pack to full charge in three hours.
The FordPass Connect on-board modem technology is a standard feature, allowing fleet operators to improve vehicle utilisation and optimise running costs, and enabling a range of features to be accessed via the FordPass mobile app to make the vehicle ownership and operating experience easier and more productive.
Within the cabin, a power/charge gauge replaces the standard rev counter, and a smaller gauge for battery state of charge replaces the engine coolant temperature indicator. Trip computer functions are configured specifically for the PHEV powertrain, and EV mode indicators, maintenance alerts, and a warning when the vehicle is plugged into a charging point, appear on the instrument display cluster. A status line showing distance to empty for both the battery and range extender is visible on all screen displays.
The spacious and practical new Transit Custom interior provides class-leading stowage and all-new displays and control panels designed for enhanced ergonomics and ease of use. Ford’s voice-activated SYNC 3 communications and entertainment system is available for high-series models, featuring an 8-inch colour touchscreen that can be controlled with pinch and swipe gestures.
The Transit Custom PHEV will be offered in a range of high-specification series, and offering driver assistance technologies including Active Park Assist and Lane-Keeping Aid supported by standard electric power-assisted steering that is optimised for city driving and easy manoeuvring in busy commercial environments.