2020 Toyota Corolla LE- Engaging Midsize Sedan. 2020 Toyota Corolla LE – Drive, Interior and Exterior. Subscribe.
The 2020 Corolla sedan comes ready to pair with the driver’s digital life. The standard audio multimedia system includes an available 8-in. touch-screen display; six speakers; Apple CarPlay®, Amazon Alexa, and Scout GPS Link compatibility; hands-free phone capability with voice recognition and music streaming via Bluetooth® wireless technology; customizable home screen settings along with connected services such as Safety Connect and Wi-Fi Connect Powered by Verizon.
The LE, LE Hybrid, SE, XLE and XSE grades get the 8-inch touch screen and 2 USB ports standard.
Audio Plus, standard on XSE, XLE and optional on SE CVT, adds SiriusXM Radio, Service Connect, and Remote Connect.
Topping the range is Premium Audio, which is optional on XSE and XLE. The package includes a JBL nine-speaker, 800-watt system with Clari-Fi; Dynamic Voice Recognition; Dynamic Navigation; Dynamic Points of Interest Search; and Destination Assist Connect.
– The JBL Audio system is also available on the SE CVT.
– JBL Audio system highlights include:
– JBL is available in the Corolla for the first time in over 10 years
– Next-Generation HID8 amplifier creates 800-watts of total power
– Free-standing horn tweeters located in the A-pillar at ear level for optimal high-frequency performance
– 10-in. dual coil subwoofer in rear deck provides powerful deep-bass response
– Sealed inner door panels promote cleaner, more powerful sound
– Midrange speakers in all four doors provide full-range sound for all passengers
– Clari-Fi software analyzes and rebuilds all audio to restore audio quality lost during digital compression
The 2020 Corolla sedan L, LE, and XLE grades will use the 1.8-liter engine (2ZR-FAE) found in the previous generation, yet with more horsepower and better fuel efficiency. The SE and XSE grades are powered by a completely-new 2.0-liter Dynamic-Force direct-injection inline four-cylinder engine (M20A-FKS). This new engine delivers more performance while using less fuel. Remarkably, the new Corolla sedan engine is physically smaller and lighter, helping to lower the car’s center of gravity and improve its overall balance.
Every grade of the 2020 Corolla has better combined fuel efficiency estimates than the previous generation. The L and LE grades have better fuel efficiency estimates in all three categories – city/highway/combined – while the XLE has better fuel efficiency estimates in city and highway and has the same combined fuel economy estimate.
The new Dynamic Force engine, which adds 37 horsepower to the SE and XSE grades over the previous generation models, has an estimated three more combined mpg with the CVT, and an estimated two more combined mpg with the manual transmission.
The new Dynamic Force engine gets it high power and efficiency from a combination of high compression ratio (13:1), Toyota D4-S fuel injection combining direct and secondary port injectors, high-speed combustion, VVT-iE intelligent variable valve-timing on the intake side and VVT-i on the exhaust. VVT-iE uses an electric motor instead of oil pressure to control the variable valve timing.
A two-discharge port oil pump and a variable cooling system with electric water pump help maximize engine performance and efficiency. The more efficient cooling system also ensures quicker cabin heating on cold days and quicker cool-down when the air conditioner is used.
All of these technologies, along with ultra-low internal friction, yield a maximum thermal efficiency of 40 percent, very high for a passenger vehicle engine. You can’t feel thermal efficiency, but you can feel the effects of 169 peak horsepower at 6,600 rpm and 151 lb.-ft peak torque at 4,800 rpm.
The Corolla Hybrid’s linear acceleration response may take some by surprise. When pulling away, the battery provides a subtle power boost in order to put less strain on the engine and eliminate the “rubber band” effect experienced with some hybrids.
A preload differential adds to the confident acceleration feel. During low loads and low differential rotation, differential-limited torque is distributed to the left and right wheels, yielding excellent handling stability. At mid-range and high engine loads, the preload differential functions as an open differential.
Along with the expected NORMAL and ECO drive modes, a SPORT drive mode setting allows for an increase in power for stronger acceleration response when desired.
– NORMAL mode: Allows the hybrid system to achieve an ideal combination of fuel economy and vehicle acceleration. The accelerator opening amount changes linearly in response to accelerator pedal operation.
– ECO mode: Improves hybrid system efficiency by limiting power in response to light to moderate accelerator pedal input.
– SPORT mode: Available power is increased, allowing for improved acceleration response.